Raising up student leaders.
What is it?
The Keep is a student resource space, located in the basement of Luther Memorial Church. The Keep hosts a food pantry that serves UW-Madison, Edgewood, and Madison College students, faculty and staff. The Keep also hosts up to five student organizations that care for the campus and community by meeting basic needs.
The mission/purpose of The Keep is to
- Support the efforts of students at the UW-Madison, Edgewood College, and Madison College, to respond to critical needs in the campus and Madison communities.
- Equip students to care for others and raise up conscientious and engaged community members.
- Alleviate needs in the Madison area as well as the UW-Madison community through food, shelter, clothing and other basic needs.
Who can use it?
- Registered Student Organizations of UW Madison, Madison College, and Edgewood College (consideration may be made for non-RSOs) There are a maximum of six spaces available.
- Organizations working on projects related to the basic needs of a local community – food, clothing, & shelter.
The Keep is located in the basement of Luther Memorial (1021 University Ave, Madison). The Keep is accessible by the east elevator (Maroon) or by taking either the South east, or Main staircases to the lowest level. Entry into Luther Memorial (hours dependent) can be found on University Avenue through the main doors to the church, or through the east courtyard doors.
The Keep @ Luther Memorial
1021 University Ave, Madison, WI 53715.
Students – Have an idea or see a basic need that is unmet in your community, contact Pastor Emily at Lutheran Campus Ministry in Madison firstname.lastname@example.org.
BundleUp provides homeless individuals in the Madison community with cold-weather items and personal hygiene products. We aim accomplish this goal via a 3 step process:
- Collection: Gently used clothing items and new, sealed hygiene products are collected in bins located throughout the Madison area
- Distribution: Items are washed and distributed either directly to individuals in need or given to community partners to share as they see fit
- Reinvestment: Funds raised are utilized to purchase additional items based on need and community demand
The prevalence of financial instability among students on campus is a cause of urgent concern. There have been measures taken among the campus community to combat this financial insecurity such as the creation of a food pantry for students in need.
It is clear that acquiring event the most basic essentials can be a constant battle for these students. In recognizing that difficulties to make ends meet beyond food items, The Badger Caring Closet seeks to provide other dailyis our hope that easing the financial burden of items such as clothing, hygiene products and school supplies will allow students to refocus on their education.
The food pantry at the Keep is a joint ministry of Luther Memorial Church and Geneva Campus Church. It will be open to students, faculty, and staff from UW-Madison, Edgewood, and Madison College. The Food Pantry Taskforce plans to launch the pantry in January 2019.
Student Organization Application Information
The Keep is currently accepting applications for the 2018-2019 academic year. Contact Pastor Emily Tveite email@example.com or 608-257-7178 with any questions about the process, application, or eligibility.
Please read the following information thoroughly before applying.
We need volunteers to serve as mentors for the student groups. Mentors meet with their groups 4-6 times per year and also help connect groups to other resources within the congregation and community.
Interested? Contact Pastor John Worzala Dumke at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 258-3160 ext 13.